How to make a compliment/complaint
1. If you wish to make a compliment/complaint about the actions of an officer or about any aspect of
law-enforcement operations, please:
a. Come to the department and tell any employee that you want to make a compliment/complaint; or
b. Call the department or the town manager’s office (540) 832-2272 (Police Department) or
(540) 832-2233 (Town Manager) and tell the person answering the phone that you want to
make a compliment/complaint. Phones are answered during normal business hours Monday-Friday.
If no one answers, you may leave a message; or
c. Write your compliment/complaint and mail it to the chief of police.
2. A supervisory officer will assist you in filling out a compliment/complaint form. This form asks you to
identify yourself and then to give specific details about your complaint.
3. Your compliment/complaint will then be investigated. You may be contacted and asked additional
questions about your complaint.
4. If it is going to take a long time to investigate your complaint, you may receive a letter
telling you approximately when you may expect a reply.
5. When your compliment/complaint has been investigated, the chief of police will review the investigation
and may write you a letter explaining what has been found out about the matter.