Utility Forms

Utility Billing

The Town Treasurer's office bills and collects for both water and sewer.

The following utility forms are available on line:

Where does the town's water come from?

The Town of Gordonsville purchases water from the Rapidan Service Authority and provides water service to customers in and around the town.  Water is drawn from the Rapidan River in Orange where it is treated and pumped down Route 15 to Gordonsville.

Rapidan Service Authority charges the Town for all water purchased. Each month, the Town's three main water meters are read and the Town is sent a bill for water used. In turn, the Town bills town citizens for their monthly usage. The amount billed is based on monthly meter readings. Meters are read on the 15th of each month; bills are processed and mailed by the 23rd of the month.  Water bills are due on the 15th of every month.  

If your water bill is not paid in a timely manner, water service is turned off at 8:00 am on the cut-off date listed on your bill. Once water service is turned off, the entire account balance is due, in addition to any delinquent fees the account may incur, before the water may be turned back on.  If the account becomes delinquent four times within a 12-month period, a $200.00 delinquent water deposit will be required in addition to the delinquent balance being paid in full before water service is restored. 

Who provides sanitary sewer service?

Sanitary sewer service is provided by the Rapidan Service Authority, which operates a wastewater treatment plant at the town limits. All questions regarding sewer service should be directed to RSA at (800) 468-1049.